The Ancient Wisdom
The Feminine Universe is a concise guide to the Primordial Philosophy
The seminal exposition of the Ancient Wisdom known as The Feminine Universe has been virtually out of print for some years. We now are proud to be able to offer this vitally important work to all seekers after truth in a new, updated and affordable, paperback edition.
The Feminine Universe shows how a single Ancient Wisdom, or Primordial Philosophy, lies behind all the great traditions of the world, from the Far East to the ancient Americas, from the Hindu world to the Celtic, and shows how this philosophy was originally a feminine-oriented spirituality which was edited and adulterated by patriarchal societies, but was never wholly lost until the later 20th century.
It is an exhilarating book which reclaims our feminine tradition and explains exactly what is wrong with the modern world and how it can be put right.
Within its 142 pages, this concise volume contains a complete philosophy, an entire view of life, which will be startlingly new to most people, but in fact is the most ancient wisdom in the world.
We present below a summary of the book's contents, together with links which will allow you to sample the preface and first chapter of this fundamentally important text on the world's most ancient wisdom and most modern need.
Contents of The Feminine Universe
- A brief examination of the central ideas of the book; an introduction to the Ancient Wisdom, or Primordial Tradition.
THE FEMININE HERITAGE
- Sets the scene for the book by marshalling the overwhelming historical evidence that the world's earliest civilizations (covering the vast majority of earth's history) were feminine in orientation, religious, social, and political. Describes the nature of feminine civilization.
- I. THE IMAGE OF THE COSMOS
- Contrasts the traditional and modern pictures of the universe. The traditional universe, as understood by the ancient wisdom, is a living, intelligent whole, the modern universe a mere accidental development of matter. Examines the popular fallacy that "modern science has disproved ancient wisdom and the traditional picture of the universe" and demonstrates that on the contrary, only the traditional cosmos can explain the nature of things as they are. Shows how our picture of the universe affects our psychic health and our image of ourselves.
- II. THE CYCLES OF TIME
- Time, in the light of the ancient wisdom, is seen to be cyclical rather than linear. Shows how the modern myth of "progress" is in error and demonstrates the intellectual and spiritual superiority of earlier (and especially feminine) civilizations. Shows the place of the Eclipse, or cultural collapse of the 1960s, in the Pattern of History and discusses the possibility of a Restitution of Civilization in the future.
- III. THE THREE GUNAS IN HISTORY
- Following on from the previous chapter, goes more deeply into the profound forces underlying history, and shows how the Hindu doctrine of the three gunas (a specifically Indian survival of the ancient wisdom and universal science) provides the key to a full understanding of the historical process. Discusses also how femininity has been attacked and belittled in the post-Eclipse world, so that it has been poisoned even in its ultimate stronghold, the heart of woman herself, so that women are ashamed to be truly feminine and a barren, totally-masculine world is being created.
- IV. THE NATURE OF FEMININITY AND THE NATURE OF BEAUTY
- Examines the true nature of the phenomenon we call femininity. Shows how it is not merely a human quality but is inherent in the cosmos itself. Shows how, despite the ignorance of modern politicized social theory, modern neuroscience and brain scan technology leave absolutely no doubt that the female brain is different from the male brain, and that the psychological, and emotional differences that result from this are precisely those that have always constituted traditional femininity. Femininity is not a "social construct", it is a biological reality. There is no "alternative neuroscience". All neuroscientists know this to be true. The "social construct" theory of femininity, despite the massive vested interests in its favor, is as outdated as the Flat Earth theory. Nevertheless, this chapter goes far beyond biology, showing that biological femininity is only the material expression of a much deeper cosmic reality, how Beauty is not a subjective human perception, but a Universal Truth; and the meaning of these realities in our lives today.
- V. THE KEY TO METAPHYSICS
- The heart of the ancient wisdom and the central theoretical chapter of the book. Expounds the nature of Matter and of Form from the traditional metaphysical point of view. Shows how this traditional view, far from being "disproved by modern science", makes clear those things that advanced physics leaves increasingly mysterious and inexplicable. A full understanding of the cosmos is impossible without metaphysics. In the 19th century a "mechanical universe" was a possibility, but 20th century discoveries have blown materialism out of the water and left gaps which have always been understood and explained by traditional metaphysics. Discusses the Problem of Form and shows how modern materialism cannot grasp this essential concept. Explains the Archetypes, which, far from being merely psychological entities are, as Plato knew, the Eternal Forms which give shape to all earthly things, from a tree to an idea.
- VI. THE MYTH OF THE MODERN WORLD
- Tackles the central progress/evolution myth of the last century. Shows how it obscures, but cannot answer, the Question of Form. Questions the very basis of late-19th and 20th century thought and shows it to be untenable. Shows how the reductionism first popularized by Freud and Marx, upon which early 21st century thought is still based (despite the fact that few modern people are any longer explicitly Freudian or Marxist)—an outlook which seeks to explain the greater in terms of the less, which reduces human culture and spirituality to animal and economic causes—is false and impoverishing to the human soul.
- VII. PSYCHIC DISEASES OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY
- Discusses Deracination, Atomization, and Deformism. How human beings are cut off from their spiritual and historical roots. How they are isolated from each other. How all that is ordered and decorous in human life is overturned in the post-1960s world; how beauty is turned to ugliness, order to chaos. Discusses the very wellsprings of human motivation and the inner nature of a disordered society such as the present one.
- VIII. ART NEO AND THE RESURGENCE OF LIGHT
- Shows how the seeds of the problems discussed in the last chapter were sown in the preceding centuries, but how in the 20th century, rather than an "inevitable" decline into the present state of dissolution, there was, in the earlier part of the century, a resurgence of true Form led by what the authoress terms the Art Neo movement. "Art Neo" is sometimes loosely translated as "Art Deco" but is in fact a rather broader concept, including not only the visual arts but music, cinema, and the whole approach to life shaped by the more positive side of the new sensibility of the 20th century. Art Neo shows how a modern machine society can be humanized and can, in its own limited way, reflect Eternal values. Although the Art Neo spirit was destroyed by its natural enemies at the time of the Eclipse, it still points the way to a path of resurgence for the future.
- IX. THE LANGUAGE OF FORM
- Shows how every humanly created form, from art and advertisements to the design of clothes, cars, and everyday objects, is, whether its makers know it or not, a philosophical statement. No designed object is philosophically or morally neutral. Each is making a statement, and the fact that most designers are doing this at an unconscious level—merely incorporating the deep-laid assumptions of their culture and expressing them in form-language—only makes the statement more subtly pervasive. And, since forms are the very foundation of human existence, such statements cumulatively shape and define the entire lives of societies and the individuals within them. This is a phenomenon that can work both good and evil. This chapter discusses the form-language of ancient traditional societies and of more modern normal societies and also the inverted and deformist form-language of the post-Eclipse world. It shows how a return to right form is possible for the future.
- X. SECRETS OF THE IMAGE-SPHERE
- The entire world we inhabit—the entity that appears to us to be "the real world"—exists within our minds. That mental world or image-sphere is shaped by many forces. In the post-Eclipse world, these forces are exclusively controlled by the centralized financial/political structure through its mass media, advertising, journalistic, and commercial extensions. This chapter discusses the nature of the image-sphere, how it is shaped and how we can regain control of our own image-spheres: taking them back from the controlled, media-sculpted world of the early 21st century and rebuilding a feminine and civilized consciousness.
SECESSION AND THE HESTIA
- This short chapter discusses the duality, developed during patriarchal times, between the feminine home-world or Hestia and the masculine public-world or Agora. Increasingly the Agora has been considered the only "important" world, but in fact until recently most of human life, including education, entertainment, and work centered on the Hestia. With the Agora of the post-Eclipse world hopelessly corrupt and not immediately redeemable, the creation of a re-civilized feminine world in the Hestia is an important way forward.
- XII. WHAT THE FUTURE MAY HOLD
- The final chapter looks at long-term tendencies in the modern world, particularly the possible renaissance of Eastern civilization. Discusses ways in which we may create a valid feminine culture.
This summary gives only a very partial impression of the scope of this ground-breaking book. It is not merely the only summary of the Primordial Philosophy, or Ancient Wisdom in its original feminine perspective; it is the only concise and complete summary of the Ancient Wisdom from any perspective. This alone makes it an unique and highly important book; but it also offers a complete view of history and interpretation of the modern world in the light of the ancient wisdom, discussing the significance of many currents and individuals.
The Renaissance, the patriarchal revolution, the worldwide cultural changes of the mid-first millennium BC, Nietzsche, Art Nouveau, T. S. Eliot, 19th-century Romanticism, late-19th-century "decadents", Plato, Marx, Freud, Jung, "Stream of consciousness" writing, Protestant Fundamentalism, Islam, and surrealism are among the many, many topics discussed and interpreted from the Feminine Essentialist point of view in this small but remarkable book.
This seminal text on the ancient wisdom and its modern applications is available for US$19.99 in the United States. Just click the button below to buy with any major credit card or with Paypal:
If you are using another currency it will be translated automatically into dollars.
Click the button to start the Ancient Wisdom on its journey to your heart.
Metaphysics main page
Chapel of Our Mother God Homepage
All written material at the Chapel of Our Mother God is copyright. Should you wish to reproduce any portion please contact us for permission.